Total Pageviews

Monday, February 7, 2011

ants in my spandex.

...Because I don't run in pants and my excitement for my first race this weekend is pulling a NASA and is outta dis world. Even though I've been training now for 6 weeks it hasn't felt like I've started this journey- but it finally starts this weekend! wahoooo! Andddd it's 65 degrees & sunny in Florida according to the meteorologist man. Seriously, running anywhere but this midwest make-shift Alaska will be great. I honestly felt like Bambi on ice on my 11 miler this past Saturday. And when I got to the "Welcome to Lombard" sign on the prairie path, it might as well have said "Lombard welcomes you with 3 foot snow drifts. Turn around now, dumbass". So I did. If you're wondering if this Charlie Sheen dream of having white powder cover every inch of running ground this past week has affected my training, it has. I missed a day of training thanks to the fact that I couldn't decide if running in shoes or boots would be more effective. But not to worry my kiddies (and adult-ies?), my motivation has not suffered.


In fact, it was highlighted on my run today. After working late and sitting in traffic for almost two hours, I thought my run was headed in the direction of my relationship with my first boyfriend in 6th grade: Short and pathetic. Why did I think it would resemble this? Well, for starters, I forgot socks. Woof. And then I forgot bobby pins. So by the time I actually hopped on the treadmill, I was bitter about missing the live showing of The Bachelor and resembling a short-haired version of Cousin It (with a touch of Little Rascal's Alfalfa, noted in the ridiculously high pony tail I was sporting). And then I realize my iPod is more like iHateYouBecauseMyBatteryIsDead. Needless to say, it wasn't an ideal start to my run. But this isn't the first time I've run pissed off (need I remind you of my lousy ex?) and looking like a nappy headed fool. So I pumped up the speed and flew through a nice 6 miles- 4 of them averaging a 7:30 pace, bookended by a warm up and cool down. And it felt awesome. So am I ready/totally stoked/cant wait for this weekend? Fluff yes. 


So here's the deal: I've got goals, because well, how else do you measure success? But seeing that I don't want to burn out in month #1 of 13 and that I've again been restricted to the monotonous motion of a treadmill, I'm not focused on time for the first two half marathons. I will say that I will fa sho be under 2 hours. If I'm not, don't talk to me Monday. (this is your warning). But I have full faith I will be, seeing that that's slightly over a 9 minute pace (totally doable) and my first half of a FULL marathon was run in 1:52. Cocky? Nah, confident. I'm confident in the training I've accomplished, the motivation in my mind and the passion in my heart. (That was so MLK of me... in honor of Black History Month, of course.)


So I'll keep this one slightly shorter and sweeter, and when I post next, I'll be 1/13 closer to achieving my goal. Jacksonville Beach, get ready for me! (And Mary E., she's coming too remember.)

1 comment: